Sex crimes are among the most serious of offenses an individual can commit. Most sexual abuse and assault cases in California are considered to be felony offenses. Not only can an individual face a hefty prison sentence (sometimes for life) and fine, they will also have to deal with a marred reputation.
Sex crime charges can result in devastating repercussions if you fail to secure the aggressive legal defense that you deserve on your side. At the Law Office of Laura M. Petty, we are committed to dedicating our time and resources to each and every client, and we will do whatever we can to protect your rights and your future.
Common Sex Offenses in California?
A wide range of sex offenses result in you being registered as a sex offender which is a registry your neighbors, potential employers, etc. can access. These offenses include:
- Assault to commit: rape, sodomy, or oral copulation
- Prostitution (engaging in or solicitation)
- Sexual battery
- Aggravated Assault/Rape
- Sexual acts against a minor
- Child molestation/statutory rape
- Enticing minor female for prostitution
- Procurement of under 16 for lewd and lascivious acts
- Contributing to the delinquency of a minor
- Sexual exploitation of a child
- Distribution of obscene matter of minor for commercial use
- Possession of child pornography
- Incest, sodomy, oral copulation
- Sexual penetration by foreign object
- Indecent exposure
- Internet sex crimes (online solicitation)
Defending Sex Crime Accusations
In a sex crime case, there are a number of steps that need to be taken as a part of your defense. First, the DNA testing must be conducted, the defense team will interview witnesses and associates of the accuser, then the defense will investigate the accuser's past. The defense will be responsible for ensuring all evidence against their client was collected legally.
There are many defenses available in a sex crime case. These defenses can include the following:
- Accuser motivation
- An individual may lie about consensual sex to protect his/her reputation
- False accusation of molestation made by a parent to gain custody in divorce
- A means of extorting money
- Evidence was obtained illegally/attorney will file a motion to suppress
- Tainted testimony
When children are subject to biased interviews (by police, teachers, therapists, etc.) they often will answer yes or build false memories that did not occur, in order to please adults
Sexual misconduct allegations require intervention immediately. Being proactive is often what results in a charge dismissal or reduction versus a conviction. A sex crime conviction can ruin your reputation and result in the loss of your job, family and freedom. When the stakes are high, you need qualified legal representation on your side immediately.
Don't resign yourself to a life-long stigma. If you have been charged with a sex crime it is imperative that you do not speak with police until you have a Solano County sex crime lawyer by your side during any conversation with law officer personnel. The Law Office of Laura M. Petty also offers legal help to those who may have been accused for failing to register their new sex offender status after a criminal conviction, as there may be further legal consequences in the future if they neglect to do so.
You are not a case number to us, you are a life with a family, job and future at stake and we take your charges seriously! We will not rest until we have turned over every stone, crafted the most compelling defense possible and defended your rights at all costs. You are innocent until proven guilty and we will do everything within our power to exonerate you.